Electrification Roadmap For South Africa, Africa and Developing Countries
Eskom and Duke Energy, as members of the GSEP, are facilitating the development of a an Electrification Roadmap to ensure 500 million people have access to energy by 2025 (100 million Connections).
Connect 500 million people to modern energy services (translates to 100 million connections)
The Global Sustainable Electricity Partnership (GSEP) is a consortium of some of the largest electric utilities in the world. CEOs from its 13 members approved this commitment along with two additional projects at their annual meeting in May 2012.
2013 – 2015:
• forge partnerships, engage partners to secure commitment, human and financial resources and finalise plans for the implementation
• Analyse electrification need; Use existing plans where they exist; Assist with development of national plans where needed;
• Facilitate training and human and institutional capacity building; match supply and demand wrt developmental needs;
• Assist with regional electrification strategy, financing for the implementation and execution of quick hits.
• Share knowledge and experience with counterparts in Africa and other developing Countries
Will be a period of accelerated, electrification action. Success will be dependent on the monitoring, measurement, verification and reporting of the efforts; a systemic matching of the supply and demand, of the areas in the countries, with the developmental needs and the actual achieved growth; leadership and commitment by all. While this process of the SADC electrification is being carried out, similar work will be undertaken in the rest of Africa and all other developing countries.
UN goal(s) and issue(s) addressedCommunity development; Education and training ; Job creation and enterprise...Mostrar todo (9)
Sustainable Energy for All (SEFA) objectives addressedAccess to Energy
Names of committing organisations
|Eskom Holdings State Owned Company (SOC) Ltd||Other|
|Duke Energy||Industry Organisation|
|Global Sustainable Electricity Partnership||International Organisation|
|Southern African Power Pool||Other|
Industry sector(s) that apply to this commitment
Alternative energy; Electricity
Country(s) where this commitment will be implemented
Angola; Benin; Botswana; Burkina Faso; Burundi; Cameroon; Canary Islands; Cape...Mostrar todo (54)
Open to additional partners
This commitment is open to additional partners. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your interest.